Monday, April 9, 2012

Obsession? What a Scream! I'm Just Reciprocatin'!

In the four years I've been blogging, and the two or three years I've been on Facebook, I have mentioned my hit stats and visitor counts maybe eight or ten times.  Because I've posted on Facebook a couple of times some interesting visitor locations (the Department of Justice and now a law firm in Washington, D.C.) the perfesser says I'm obsessed.

I guess, to his understanding, posting about something on Facebook is tantamount to being obsessed (as opposed to, say, attacking someone on your blog every other day)....  Ya think?  Or is he, as usual, lying?

I note that he's made more posts about me in the past five to six weeks than I've made about my visitor stats in four years. In March 2012, through April 8, 2012, he made eleven (11) posts about me, directly or indirectly -- and this does not count the times he mentioned me in comment threads during the same time period, at  his blog and others'.

Here lately, he's been attempting to mischaracterize folks, mainly me, without mentioning names. He's not real good at it, and it makes for some really tangled and convoluted (and unintentionally hilarious) posts.

In one particularly obscure post about a "Confederate heritage advocate" -- that would be moi --  he mentions that blogging software comes with hit counters. I suppose so, but if mine does (Blogger or Blogspot, run by Google), I don't use it.  I use independent visitor stat software.

My tracking software recently recorded that I received a visit from a law firm by the name of O'Melveny and Myers. Yes, it identified them as the IP address, by name, and provided their numerical IP address (151.194.49.145) and location, Washington, D.C.  See?


More  here:
O'Melveny & Myers website
http://www.omm.com/
Wikipedia entry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Melveny_%26_Myers
The visitor tracking software told me this visitor came to my site by clicking on a link to it found at: cwcrossroads.wordpress.com/...<snip>.

So Simpson writes, "That advocate, in yet another effort to draw attention to herself, now claims she’s being checked out by a Washington, DC law firm (she’s previously claimed that the Department of Justice is on her tail).  All that’s happened here, people, is that a reader of this blog clicked on a link to another blog … although the post in question doesn’t even mention any Confederate heritage blogger by name.   So, tell me … is this Confederate heritage blogger simply stupid?" 

I have a better question.  Are you simply a liar, Perfesser?  Ah, yeah, you are.

At least two blatant lies stand out in just that one paragraph.  First, that visit from the law firm was not to my blog. Second, I've never claimed that the DoJ is "on my tail."

Also note I never claimed that the Crossroads "post in question" mentioned me by name. However, the link that the  D.C. law firm visitor followed at Crossroads was in a comment posted by me, which identified me by name. Geez, do you imagine somebody that works at a law firm might be able to put two and two together and at least guess whose site they'd be visiting?

Anyway, back to my comment on Facebook about the DoJ visit to my blog.  Here is the FB post where I told my group about the visit: "My 180 blawg has been visited by Eric Holder's US Department of Justice. LOL! Hey, Eric! (Waves.) How's Fast and Furious goin'?"

Obviously, I wasn't obsessed with the visit from the DoJ; I didn't even take it seriously, as anyone who isn't humor-impaired could see.  Later in the thread, I posted:

Anybody have any thoughts or ideas about how I might parlay this visit from the DOJ into ... book sales? I recently changed the cover of Southern Man and reduced the price to $12.95. If I just had some other marketing gimmick... Could Holder's DOJ fill the bill?
 
Corey "Kindred Blood" Meyer also posted on that thead: "Maybe it is just someone who works there and was looking for something and google pointed them your way. Or you could just be paranoid."
 
To which I replied: "So I sound paranoid, Corey? What's paranoid about "LOL" and "Hey, Eric! (Waves.) How's Fast and Furious goin'?"  Humor, sarcasm and irony really DO go over your head, don't they? You yanks are sooooo SOUR."
 
The same observation holds true for Perfesser Simpson.  Even when he deliberately attempts humor, it falls completely flat.

Anyhoo, Corey continued, "Why else would you comment about the DOJ visiting your site."
 
So I had to 'splain it to him:  "Corey, why would I comment? Well, it's a concept you evidently don't understand. HUMOR. Entertainment.  My original 180 ezine got hits from the feds all the time -- the State Department, mostly, but the Justice Department, too -- but the miltary more than anyone, esp. the Army and the Coast Guard. I always just assumed the visits were from homesick southerners sneaking around and using their gubmint employer's internet access to have a little cyber-visit to Dixie. My e-zine rocked -- really. I played great rock midis..."
 
So, back to the visit from the D.C. law firm recorded on my visitor log.  The perfesser sez, "All that’s happened here, people, is that a reader of this blog clicked on a link to another blog."  Yeah, the "reader" whose visit he mentioned was from the D.C. law firm.  Does the perfesser imagine that because the click-through came from his blog that it couldn't have come from the D.C. law firm, as recorded by my tracking software?

The more I read the perfesser's complaints about me, the more I realize that what he's complaining about describes himself far more than it does me.  He's the one who's obsessed -- with Southern heritage advocates in general, and with me in particular. He admitted that he trolls the internet looking for such folks to bash on his blog.  He calls it tiptoeing "through the internet to sample historical understandings about the American Civil War." 

People say, "You do the same thing with his blog." 

Ah, no. He goes looking for people to attack.  I read his blog looking for those attacks in order to defend against them, or counterattack.  The perfesser attacks.  I defend or counterattack. I virtually never post on his blog, or post about him at mine, or on my Facebook group, except to defend or counterattack.

Remember when the emphasis of this blog was the civil war and the header included a version of this image?


The "cw" is still part of the URL of his blog, although when he grew less interested in  the civil war and more interested in spying on and lying about and just generally bashing Southern heritage and its advocates, he took the emphasis on "civil war" out of his blog and now it's just Crossroads....


The tagline reads, "Where history, scholarship, the academic life and other stuff meet."  Since the first three seem to be in short supply on his blog, most of it is "other stuff" -- usually attacks on Southern heritage folks. 

Yes, I know posting this image here violates the perfesser's new copyright policy on his blog... but as long as he posts things like this, in violation of mine (not only posting a copyrighted image, but photoshopping it), he can expect the same thing from me.


After all, when he announced his new copyright policy, he said that I "should reciprocate." So that's what I'm doin'.  I'm reciprocatin'.

Every now and then, he tries to quit us, and he'll post about other things for a while... But then it gets to be too much for his predatory nature, and he always resumes his attacks.  It's happened over and over.  And not just on his own blog, but in comment threads at other ostensible "civil war" blogs...

Keep in mind that this man who exhibits so little regard for truth is a Distinguished Regents’ Professor of History, in the School of Historical, Philosophical, and Religious Studies at Arizona State University.  Explains a lot, doesn't it?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but monitored.